Daniel Zeichner MP in his newsletter suggests the following for those looking to help with the refugee crisis
1. Cambridge Convoy Refugee Action Group need cash donations and donations of specific foods, and volunteers.
2. Cambridge Refugee Resettlement Campaign are recruiting volunteers and linking up Cambridge area community initiatives to assist refugees.Contacts – Dik Veenman 07887 651988 and Stefan Hasselwimmer email@example.com and 07719 437803. For more info : www.cambridgerefugees.org
3. Ask the county council if you are potentially interested in fostering. The County Council is likely to need extra foster parents to help refugee children from Syria, and also children who are refugees from other conflict areas.
4. Donations to help refugees on Syrian borders. Aid charities working in Syria and adjacent countries, and countries en route also need cash donations if you can afford to help. They include British Red Cross, Save the Children and UNICEF, and more information is available direct from them on the difference they are making.
5. Refugee Action helps people who’ve survived some of the world’s worst regimes to find the basic support they need to live with dignity. The group need volunteers to help with; giving advice, raising funds, running events, mentoring and more.
6. Cambridge Ethnic Community Forum provide welfare advice & practical help to asylum seekers & refugees in Cambridge; develop resource materials for those working with asylum seekers & refugees; work in partnership with the statutory & voluntary sector to develop and deliver services to asylum seekers & refugees.
7. Shelterbox helps people worldwide who are in crisis because of disaster or conflict, with tools that enable them to rebuild homes and transform their lives.